Thursday, May 20, 2010

Keeper of the peeps

I'm today's "keeper of the flock" here at the Dalton Clan Ranch and have been out wrangling the flocks of chickens and peeps today.

The little mason jar peep feeders needed filling way too often so I took a big old plastic self-feeder out from my cat feeding collection and filled it up with a couple gallons worth of peep feed.

Pulled off last night's tarp... for protection from rain and chill... and now the leetle creeters are peeping away, chowing peep chow and drinking nice fresh well water out of their gallon-or-so self-waterer.

The free ranging egg hens came over to snap up some peep chow that got tossed on the ground when I emptied out the mason jar peep feeders of their last few cubic inches of peep chow.

It is fun to watch the interaction of the peeps., the egg hens and Gil, (the black lab mix doggie who lives here) and my gray old rescued barn kitty Lightning.

I do, indeed love to sit and have the hens making their hen noises around me.. and I answer in hen lingo.... I bark at the dog and make cat noises at my cat.

I have, for years, spoken fluent cat, and am good at dog... and feel comfy in both hen and peep dialects of chicken.

Yesterday the crows were making a racket in the trees... I dunno if it was mating or arguing or both. Might have been fish crows vs ravens.

So, I am picking up on crow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment